Re: [Lynx-dev] Color in an Emacs terminal emulator (eterm)

From: Bryan Henderson
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Color in an Emacs terminal emulator (eterm)
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:31:34 +0000

>ok.  The "eterm" terminfo you sent would produce the same effect on xterm
>or linux console, since the relevant parts (cursor move, clearing, etc)
>behave the same on both.  But with a quick check on either xterm or Linux
>console, I don't see the problem you reported.

This suggests that Emacs isn't implementing the interface it describes
in the eterm terminfo entry, right?  Like maybe Lynx is sending some
characters that should clear the left margin and Emacs isn't clearing
it?  If you could do that ncurses trace and tell me what capabilities
Lynx (via Ncurses) uses to effect the blank left margin, maybe I could
remove those from my eterm definition and force Lynx to do something
more primitive, like write spaces?  That would help isolate the problem.

Specifically, in http://netpbm.sf.net/doc/pnmtojpeg.html, the option
descriptions are indented so that the paragraph under "exif=filename",
for example, has 10 blank positions to the left of it.  The question
is: what made those positions blank?  (When I do it in an eterm, they
aren't blank; they contain whatever they did when the previous page
was displayed).

Or maybe there is an Ncurses test program that would expose capabilities
that don't do what they're supposed to.

--
Bryan Henderson                                    Phone 408-621-2000
San Jose, California