Re: [Lynx-dev] Problem with mobil.t-online.de

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Problem with mobil.t-online.de
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 18:49:32 -0500

On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 08:55:22PM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> >Same guess: wrong format.
>
> Neither gzip nor compress can handle it; file(1) says "data".

That's because the stream switches to compressed mode right after
the "Content-Type" line.  It works on my home machine, but that's
with later changes to the accept string.  I see this in the trace
(indented for clarity):

        GET / HTTP/1.0\r
        Host: mobil.t-online.de\r
        Accept: text/html, text/plain, text/sgml, */*;q=0.01\r
        Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate, bzip2\r
        \r
        ----------------------------------
        Sending HTTP request.
        HTTP: WRITE delivered OK
        HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
        HTTP: Trying to read 1535
        HTTP: Read 1535
        Read 1.5 KiB of data, 1 KiB/sec.
        HTTP: Rx: HTTP/1.1 200 OK
        HTTP: Scanned 2 fields from line_buffer
        --- Talking HTTP1.
        HTTP/1.1 200 OK
        HTFormat: Constructing stream stack for www/mime to www/present ((null))
        HTFormat: Looking up presentation for www/mime to www/present
        HTFormat: comparing image/* and www/mime for half match
        StreamStack: found weak wildcard match: www/present
        FindPresentation: found exact match: www/mime
        StreamStack: found exact match: www/mime
        StreamStack: Returning "MIMEParser"
        HTMIME:  Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 23:31:12 GMT
        Server: Apache
        Pragma: no-cache
        Expires: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 23:59:59 GMT
        Cache-Control: private, max-age=300
        Connection: close

while on this host (which doesn't work) I have (and since your tcpdump
shows a "compress" also, expect that it's comparable):

        GET / HTTP/1.0
        Host: mobil.t-online.de
        Accept: text/html, text/plain, x-html2, text/sgml, */*;q=0.01
        Accept-Encoding: gzip, compress

        ----------------------------------
        Sending HTTP request.
        HTTP: WRITE delivered OK
        HTTP request sent; waiting for response.
        HTTP: Trying to read 1535
        HTTP: Read 1535
        Read 1.5 KB of data, 1.1 KB/sec.
        HTTP: Rx: HTTP/1.1 200 OK
        HTTP: Scanned 2 fields from line_buffer
        --- Talking HTTP1.
        HTTP/1.1 200 OK
        HTFormat: Constructing stream stack for www/mime to www/present
        HTFormat: Looking up presentation for www/mime to www/present
        StreamStack: found weak wildcard match: www/present
        FindPresentation: found exact match: www/mime
        StreamStack: found exact match: www/mime
        StreamStack: Returning "MIMEParser"
        HTMIME:  Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 16:13:47 GMT
        Server: Apache
        Pragma: no-cache
        Expires: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 23:59:59 GMT
        Cache-Control: private, max-age=300

"compress" is supposed to be handled by an external program, while
the others all have built-in support.  I didn't have "compress"
installed on my home machine, but see that there is a "ncompress"
package, and after installing that and building a copy of lynx, it
doesn't work with the site.

I'll investigate and see if the problem is a bug in lynx (which
can be repaired).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net