[Lynx-dev] cross compiling question

From: Robin Getz
Subject: [Lynx-dev] cross compiling question
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 21:49:29 -0500

All:

I just had a quick question - I was trying to do some cross compiling for a uClinux target - and was running into some issues.

the image I was trying was the 2.8.5.tar.gz (with an updated config.sub) - configure didn't seem to work properly for a cross build:

./configure --host=bfin-uclinux --build=i686-linux --with-curses-dir=/home/rgetz/checkouts/kernel/uClinux-dist/lib/ncurses --with-screen=ncurses

still built everything with the host gcc. I tried:

CC='bfin-uclinux-gcc -Wl,-elf2flt' ./configure --host=bfin-uclinux --build=i686-linux --with-curses-dir=/home/rgetz/checkouts/kernel/uClinux-dist/lib/ncurses --with-screen=ncurses

and the build dies, because CC is not set to the host gcc, and when trying to build the ./src/chrtrans/ *_uni.h files, it fails (as expected). If I change the CC by hand back to gcc, then I get link errors becuase the ncurses lib for my target is not compatible with the one the host gcc thinks it should have.

/usr/i586-suse-linux/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /home/rgetz/checkouts/kernel/uClinux-dist/lib/ncurses/lib/libncurses.a when searching for -lncurses

Other than doing the configure, and then changing the makefiles by hand (which seems to work after some nasty hackery), does anyone have any better ideas pointers for cross compile?

Thanks
-Robin