[Lynx-dev] Debian Port of Lynx and SSL

From: Martin McCormick
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Debian Port of Lynx and SSL
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 14:37:29 -0600

        I have Lynx Version 2.8.5rel.1 (04 Feb 2004)
libwww-FM 2.14, SSL-MM 1.4.1, OpenSSL 0.9.6g
Built on freebsd4.7 Nov 19 2005 16:33:26

        and it handles a local lynx.cfg file directive of
FORCE_SSL_PROMPT:NO
correctly in that SSL sites now just work like they used to before the
increased security.

        On a Debian system, I have the most recent lynx port installed which is

Lynx Version 2.8.6dev.11 (05 Jan 2005)
libwww-FM 2.14, SSL-MM 1.4.1, GNUTLS 1.0.16, ncurses 5.4.20040208
Built on linux-gnu Jan  6 2005 11:36:38

        It does not seem to understand
FORCE_SSL_PROMPT:NO

        It is as if one hadn't put it in the local lynx.cfg file at
all.  There is no error message, it just silently ignores it and acts
as if there was no directive at all.

        What is the best way to fix this so that my system knows that
lynx is still installed and I get a SSL-compatible lynx on a Debian
system?  Thank you.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK