Re: [Lynx-dev] Debian Port of Lynx and SSL

From: Martin McCormick
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Debian Port of Lynx and SSL
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 17:30:47 -0600

Thomas Dickey writes:
>But the -trace option of lynx would show if the data's being read.
>The first thing I'd suggest is to ensure it's not a configuration
>glitch (versus a bug).  If I do
>
>       lynx -trace-mask=8 -trace .
>
>and then look just at the lines in $HOME/Lynx.trace containing (ignoring
>case) "force_ssl_prompt", I see this
>
>LYReadCFG FORCE_SSL_PROMPT:no
>LYReadCFG ENABLE_LYNXRC:force_ssl_prompt:ON
>enable_lynxrc(force_ssl_prompt) on
>LYrcFile force_ssl_prompt:prompt
>
>That tells me that my lynx.cfg sets it to "no", but it's overridden
>by my .lynxrc file, which sets it to "prompt".

        Hmm.  I don't have a .lynxrc file on either of the systems
exhibiting the problem and I suspect that is the trouble.  All my
trace file shows about SSL is:

LYReadCFG FORCE_SSL_PROMPT:NO
User message: SSL error:Can't find common name in certificate-Continue? no

        I am somewhat confused in that there is a system-wide file for
lynx.cfg which in the Debian case is /etc/lynx-cur/lynx.cfg.

        If one has a local lynx.cfg file in one's home directory, any
similar directives in it override the global lynx.cfg file.  I have
never quite understood the value of .lynxrc in relation to those other
two files.

        Where is the documentation that describes this?  I imagine
that this is the real reason for the ssl unhappiness reported from
lynx.