Re: [Lynx-dev] Debian Port of Lynx and SSL

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Debian Port of Lynx and SSL
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 19:07:02 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Martin McCormick wrote:

That tells me that my lynx.cfg sets it to "no", but it's overridden
by my .lynxrc file, which sets it to "prompt".

        Hmm.  I don't have a .lynxrc file on either of the systems
exhibiting the problem and I suspect that is the trouble.  All my
trace file shows about SSL is:

that's a little unusual, but it's supposed to work

LYReadCFG FORCE_SSL_PROMPT:NO
User message: SSL error:Can't find common name in certificate-Continue? no

        I am somewhat confused in that there is a system-wide file for
lynx.cfg which in the Debian case is /etc/lynx-cur/lynx.cfg.

yes - that's because it started out as system-only.

        If one has a local lynx.cfg file in one's home directory, any
similar directives in it override the global lynx.cfg file.  I have
never quite understood the value of .lynxrc in relation to those other
two files.

yes - one can use the "include" feature in a lynx.cfg file

something like

include:lynx.cfg

in your own file, specified by either the -cfg option to lynx, or the
environment variable $LYNX_CFG

        Where is the documentation that describes this?  I imagine
that this is the real reason for the ssl unhappiness reported from
lynx.

lynx.cfg is mostly documented in its own comments.

The .lynxrc file was originally (mostly) separate, but some of the features in lynx.cfg were adapted there. There's a limit to that of course, since .lynxrc stores things that the Options menu would control, and that's not generated automatically from lynx.cfg

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net