Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx 2.8.6dev.17

From: gilmap
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx 2.8.6dev.17
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:07:00 -0700 (MST)

In a recent note, Thomas Dickey said:

> Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 20:27:18 -0500
>
> 2006-01-22 (2.8.6dev.17)

scripts/cfg_path.sh appears to be new, and I have problems
with it:

o /bin/sh on Solaris uses '^' as an alternate pipe operator,
  so its use must be quoted in shell commands.

o In POSIX:

File that you are currently viewing
   Linkname: sed

  I read:

      Regular Expressions in sed

     The sed utility shall support the BREs described in the Base
     Definitions volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, Section 9.3, Basic
     Regular Expressions, ...

  where

Link that you currently have selected
   Linkname: Section 9.3, Basic Regular Expressions

  does not provide for the use of "+" or "\+" as a repetition
  factor in BREs; only in EREs.  scripts/cfg_path.sh didn't work
  for me on any of z/OS, OS X, or Solaris.

The attached patch fixes these.

o Also, POSIX allows shell to be at either /bin/sh or /usr/bin/sh;
  it is not guaranteed to be at the former.  So "#!/bin/sh" may
  fail.  I did not encounter any problem with this.

Beyond that, scripts/cfg_path.sh and scripts/install-cfg.sh
seem to have a duplication of function; in my case even
contention.  As I was attempting to test the repaired
cfg_path.sh, install-cfg.sh kept reinserting the bad lines
from previous attempts.  I finally edited makefile.in and
removed any use of install-cfg.sh (no patch submitted).

Otherwise, I have good installs on:

    powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0
    sparc-sun-solaris2.8

Build still in progress: