Re: [Lynx-dev] read timeout issue

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] read timeout issue
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 09:40:33 +0000 (GMT)

Happy new year.

> Network disturbance occurs so often nowadays (especially for home
> network with dynamic IP given by ISP). Whenever that happens, we have to

If you are having problems with gratuitous changes of IP address, your
problem is commercial, not technical.  A correctly operating dynamic
DHCP system will not change IP address unless a machine is disconnected for
a very long time, but some ISPs reputedly misoperate DHCP to prevent users
running servers.  A dynamic address PPP system will not change unless the
underlying connection is dropped.

A commercial approach (move to a better ISP) may also work if you are
getting lots of dropouts..

> kill lynx and start allover again. Sometime I don't know where I were in
> the previous session. I use lynx to download multiple urls in shell

wget is likely to be better for this; it includes restart capabilities for
static pages from  byte range capable servers (dynamic pages are likely to
have terms of use that forbid automated fetching).

> I guess Microsoft has the same issue on failing to read page after
> getting connected. But it solves it by showing "page cannot be
> displayed" instead of hanging.

Given that you can use ^G to stop lynx and that tools like wget are more
appropriate for unattended bulk transfers, I would classify this as a
low priority wish list item.