Re: [Lynx-dev] Configurability

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Configurability
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 09:04:48 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006, Stef Caunter wrote:

Editing your own .lynxrc allows you to tune to your preferences using all lynx.cfg options.

That doesn't sound right: ".lynxrc" normally contains only the data that
is written by the options form.  Perhaps you are talking about doing
something like

        export LYNX_CFG=$HOME/.lynxrc

That would work (I think) because the data that the reader for lynx.cfg
is in a different format, but it's not the expected behavior for lynx.

If you go the [O]ptions form route it overwrites .lynxrc, which is the main reason it does not write to disk by default. This was discussed here last year. Read the autogenerated .lynxrc file LYOPTIONS generates.

Most of the Options form selections are data that the user might want to change during a session. I'm not sure that TEXTFIELDS_NEED_ACTIVATION fits into that category, though arguably "any" setting is a candidate. However, note that the options menu could grow as large as lynx.cfg if we added all possibilities.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net