[Lynx-dev] Encoding

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Encoding
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 11:46:04 +0000 (UTC)

Hi people,

I've got the following problem.

lynx.cfg:
| ASSUME_CHARSET:utf-8

Website:
| <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
| <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
|     "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd";>
| <head>
| <title>Warum HDTV ein Flopp wird</title>
| </head>
[...]

Lynx does not parse the "encoding" part of the XML tag,
and neither is there a meta tag "content-type" nor does
the HTTP response give any hint of the charset type.

So Lynx tries to render the page as UTF-8, whereas it
contains an (in my eyes valid) encoding declaration of
latin1 (which is stupid anyway, but, hey, it's not my
page).

This is dev.16 by the way.

bye,
//mirabile
existence.              -- Coywolf Qi Hunt