Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: "internal error" after 2.8.6dev.15->2.8.6dev.17 upgra

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: "internal error" after 2.8.6dev.15->2.8.6dev.17 upgrade on OSX
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 12:13:38 -0500

On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 08:54:57AM -0800, OpenMacNews wrote:
>> hmm - I can see that the message is coming from src/LYPrettySrc.c,
>> which hasn't changed since a year ago.  I would have suspected one
>> of last fall's buffer/indexing fixes, but see those are earlier.
>> This appears to be happening during initialization - you might
>> get some clue by looking to see what it's processed via
>>
>>      lynx -verbose -trace
>>
> unfortunately, all i get from:
>
>       lynx -verbose -trace
>
> is, again:
>
>       internal error while caching 1st tagspec of 0 lexeme

The Lynx.trace file in your home directory would contain some information,
for instance:

                        Lynx Trace Log (2.8.6dev.17)

        opening config file /usr/local/lib/lynx.lss
        HStyle_addStyle(normal:         normal:                 lightgray:black)
        HStyle_addStyle(default:        normal:                 white:black)

        LYNX_SIG_FILE set to '/users/tom/.lynxsig'
        HTMLDTD: Copying strict DTD element info of size 6188, 119 * 52
        opening config file /users/tom/.lynx/my-lynx.cfg
        opening config file /usr/local/lib/lynx.cfg
        LYReadCFG: ignored COLOR:6:brightred:black
        LYReadCFG: ignored DEFAULT_VIRTUAL_MEMORY_SIZE:5120000
        enable_lynxrc(force_ssl_prompt) on
        enable_lynxrc(locale_charset) on
        LYNX_SIG_FILE set to '/users/tom/.signature'
        ReadCFG - parsing tagspec 'b:' for option 'ATTRIB'

though looking at the code, I don't see that it would be tracing something
relevant to this problem.  If I were debugging it, I'd add to the beginning
of html_src_parse_tagspec() something to show the text it's trying to parse,
e.g.,

        CTRACE((tfp, "html_src_parse_tagspec(%s)\n", NonNull(ts)));

or (inside the loop at line 190 of LYPrettySrc.c):

        CTRACE((tfp, "html_src_parse_tagspec(%d:%s)\n", state, NonNull(ts)));

There are 8 places in that function that return a nonzero value - I would
also add a CTRACE call to those positions (adding curly braces as needed),
to see where it returns - which would give some clues.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net