Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: "internal error" after 2.8.6dev.15->2.8.6dev.17 upgra

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: "internal error" after 2.8.6dev.15->2.8.6dev.17 upgrade on OSX
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 06:12:11 -0500

On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 04:38:45PM -0800, OpenMacNews wrote:
> !?

(consider this an educational experience ;-)

> > If I had this sort of symptom on Linux, I'd take a quick look with
> valgrind,
> > just to see if it could report any problems with references to
> uninitialized
> > memory, etc.  I don't know what tools you have available on OS X, though.
>
> as for 'valgrind' ... have to figure out what *it* does to be able to
> figure out what you specifically want done on OSX.  i have a fairly
> complete set of dev tools ... just a matter of getting a handle on what
> is happening here :-/

valgrind can tell (in many cases) if there's an uninitialized variable.
Before valgrind, I used to link with ElectricFence in case the program
would reference unallocated memory (which is a smaller set of problems).

The actual problem may not be in this function - it could be in another
function which writes too much data into a buffer.  So adding a new
statement changes the addresses (moves the bug out of sight).

At this point, I'd compile lynx with a -g option, run it in gdb, putting
a breakpoint on the call the html_src_parse_tagspec and single-step
through that function til it gets to the "return 1", see where it is,
and work back through the code to see what that failed, etc.  Since this
hasn't changed in some time, you could have the dev.15 code and dev.17
side-by-side in two windows for comparison.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net