Re: [Lynx-dev] Problems with Lynx

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Problems with Lynx
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 15:18:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006, Don MacLean wrote:

> text file from the net with minimal interaction. I downloaded the linx for
> Win32 systems.  My Op system is Win2k Pro, my hardware is a  IBM Think Pad
> Notebook. I installed a virtual packet driver [swsvpkt.exe ] which seems to
> work ok. I am connected  to a broadband ADSL service.

You don't need the virtual packet driver for this. You only need that if
you want to use the DOS version of lynx. The windows version uses the
usual Windows networking files. You can remove "swsvpkt.exe"  from your
"windgrab.bat" file.

> I unzipped the download [ lynx_w32.2.8.2rel1.zip ] and extracted the files to
> folder C:\lynxnt . I setup a batch file "windgrab.bat"  in this folder and it
> contains the following::
> My configuration file [lynx.cfg ] content in the folder c:\lynxnt is as
> follows:
>
> SAVE_SPACE:C:\LYNXNT\TMP

This is your problem. In lynx.cfg you should use forward slashes or
double the backslashes. It should work if you make this:
SAVE_SPACE:C:/LYNXNT/TMP

> When I invoke the batch file windgrab.bat from the desktop, it seems to go to
> the correct site and displays the data that I wish to save to my hard disk.
> When I press 'd' it says it is retreiving the file. But, nowhere is to be
> found
> any output file in either my c:\lynxnt folder or in the folder c:\lynxt\tmp
> My
> arrow keys do not seem to be navigating the lynx program properly and when i
> press "H" for help it says this is "Forbidden". When I scroll up to the top
> of
> the lynx window it says :

What do you mean when you say that the arrow keys don't navigate
properly? What do you expect and what actually happens?

I suspect that the problem with the help file indicates
that you don't have "HELPFILE" set properly in your
lynx.cfg file. You can set it to a local helpfile
(HELPFILE:file://localhost/C:/LYNXNT/lynx_help/lynx_help_main.html),
using the actual address where you put the
helpfile, or set it to look up the file on the net
(HELPFILE:http://www.subir.com/lynx/lynx_help/lynx_help_main.html).

To resolve problems yourself in the future, you can run lynx with a
trace file (lynx -trace ...). Examination of the trace file usually
tells you what went wrong.

                        Doug

--
Doug Kaufman