Re: [Lynx-dev] attribute "cite"

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] attribute "cite"
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 14:47:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 1 May 2006, address@hidden wrote:

Lynx does what with "cite" in elements "BLOCKQUOTE" and "Q" and ...?

I see nothing done, nor by Mozilla Firefox, either.

In <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/text.html> I see no suggestion
what to do with it.  Make it as "href" in element "A"?

That does sound like the intent of the HTML4 spec:

   cite = uri [CT]
          The value of this attribute is a URI that designates a source
          document or message. This attribute is intended to give
          information about the source from which the quotation was
          borrowed.

Reading lynx's source, it appears that lynx parses it but does not use it. I see a use of it in the user's guide, but that does not appear to match the intent noted above.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net