Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx 2.8.5 on BeOS

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx 2.8.5 on BeOS
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 07:23:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Nigel Horne wrote:

Thomas Dickey wrote:

checking for library with inet_addr... no
configure: warning: Unable to find library for inet_addr function

you're going to run into problems with BeOS here, since its socket interface isn't compatible with anything. I've seen some reference to a patched network library for BeOS, but was unable to find a copy that might work (recalling only that I found some code that could never have worked ;-).

I don't mind hacking C, I just come out in a rash hacking configure
scripts.

I've a BeOS R4.5 with a workable network interface (and lynx won't connect via that) and a BeOS 5.0 - but no workable network interface. (Since it's one of 15 OS's on the same box, I'm reluctant to change the hardware around at random to search for a workable network card...).

I have a fully working network card (I can telnet in and use netpositive
to get out), on a dedicated machine (?20 at a fair yesterday ;-) )

It's probably a deeper hole than the network card. What I recall of it was that BeOS didn't provide a documented network interface. The socket interface is different between 4.5/5.0 (so I couldn't use my 4.5 system to make a usable fix for prospective 5.0's). But if you have some time to investigate that, I can dig out the notes that I have...

One thing that I do recall is that the socket interface wouldn't apply to terminal connections, so the code in lynx which handles keyboard interupts would have to be modified to avoid interfering with the network connection. Past that - I don't know (the patch that I saw for making lynx do network connection in 5.0 relies on code that I couldn't find).

/bin/basename: too few arguments
Try `/bin/basename --help' for more information.
/bin/basename: too few arguments
Try `/bin/basename --help' for more information.

this could be a scripting error

../configure: test: =: unary operator expected

and this too

checking for ncurses version... no

Let me know if you want any more info for those two.

I'll check on these this evening, to see. Your comment says you're looking a 2.8.5 - the development version is preferred (since it's more likely to work ;-).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net