Re: [Lynx-dev] Problem with SSL certificates in Lynx

From: patakuti
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Problem with SSL certificates in Lynx
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 23:51:54 +0900 (JST)

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, address@hidden wrote:

> I tried looking thru the mailing list archives and could not find
> anything useful for the following issue.
>
> When connecting to a site with a proper certificate (not self-signed,
> using a proper CA, listed properly in /etc/ssl/certs) i get error
>
>  SSL error:Can't find common name in certificate-Continue?

It seems that Lynx built with GnuTLS always shows this improper
message when connecting any SSL sites.

X509_NAME_oneline doesn't seem to be compatible with GnuTLS and
OpenSSL.  Lynx doesn't work well with GnuTLS's format.

    OpenSSL: /C=JP/ST=Tokyo/(snip)/CN=...
    GnuTLS : C=, ST=Tokyo,(snip), CN=...

I tested OpenSSL/0.9.6l on Windows and gnutls11 (1.0.16-13.2) on
Debian 3.1.

> This error does not exhibit itself in other browsers, nor when testing
> with
>
>  openssl -CApath /etc/ssl/certs -connect site:443
>
> I've set SSL_CERT_DIR=/etc/ssl/certs
>
> I am now wondering why it won't work when it's done properly. This is
> most annoying since I am using a commercially signed certificate. If you
> need more information please don't hesitate to ask.

Just to ignore the message, to set "SSL Prompting" as
"force yes-response" in option menu.