Re: [Lynx-dev] Hiding IPs when using lynx

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Hiding IPs when using lynx
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 07:31:02 +0100 (BST)

> Subject: [Lynx-dev] Hiding IPs when using lynx

>       Is there an option I can set for lynx where I can specify the IP
> address or host name of the machine I am coming from? The version of
> lynx I am using is 2.8.5rel.1. Thanks.

Reading this in the context of the subject (you should never rely on people
reading the subject), no.  There is no way that any web browser can
operate without revealing its IP address; that's like ordering goods
by mail order without giving out your postal address, to someone.

If you want anonymity, you will need to find an anonymising proxy.  I
don't know what the business model for one is, so I don't know
how easy they would be to find.  Even then you would need to gain
confidence that they were truly acting in good faith.  For their
own legal safety, such proxies will almost certainly log addresses and
give them out in response to a court order.  If operating commercially,
in some countries, this will be a legal requirement.

A normal proxy will generally add a header that gives the requestor's
IP address, although I don't think that normal server logs capture
this and it isn't commonly used for market research, or other uses
of click trailing.