Re: [Lynx-dev] JS question

From: Walter Ian Kaye
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] JS question
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 13:18:26 -0700

At 12:37p -0500 07/15/2006, David Feustel didst inscribe upon an electronic papyrus:

 Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 15:31:28 +0100 (BST)
 dfeustel wrote:

 > I would like to be able to use webmail from home. I am now thinking
 > about trying to add JS to Lynx myself, but I am wondering just how big
 > a project that really is. I'm running OpenBSD 3.9.

 I'd guess its somewhere between a 30 and 50% re-write, to implement
 the correct object models.  You may be able to port an actual scripting
 interpreter with less effort, but it is useless without the object
 model support.

 It has been suggested that a text only interface to Mozilla would be
 a lot cheaper to implement.

That sounds good!

I had been wondering about a text-only interface to Konqueror too.
I like Konqueror but it requires X-windows which I stopped using because
of security considerations. Now I do everything in console mode using
Lynx, Vim and Tin.

Could Mozilla actually be used by a console interface, or is GUI stuff woven into the librar(y|ies)? (I'm guessing not since that would impede porting.)

Perhaps such a thing could be called "moz" :D

And I would like such a thing to have as Lynx-like an interface as possible, perhaps with an optional touch of FoxPro/DOS character-gui-ness. :D