Re: [Lynx-dev] JS question

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] JS question
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 22:08:58 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 address@hidden wrote:

> > From: Doug Kaufman <address@hidden>
> >
> > On Sat, 15 Jul 2006, David Feustel wrote:
> >
> > > of security considerations. Now I do everything in console mode using
> > > Lynx, Vim and Tin. The only drawback is not being able to read pdf files
> > > except at the library.
> >
> > Why can't you read pdf files from lynx? Have you set your VIEWER in
> > lynx.cfg to use ghostview for pdf files?
>
> I'm not using X-windows at all; it's not installed.
> It's my understanding that using ghostview requires X-windows

In that case, can't you either set up VIEWER to run pdftohtml (from
sourceforge.net) and view that with another instance of lynx or else
run pdftotext (from the xpdf package at foolabs.com) and pipe that
to less. You won't be able to view images from the files that way,
but you should be able to read the text. You don't need X to compile
pdftohtml or pdftotext.
                               Doug
--
Doug Kaufman