Re: [Lynx-dev] text browsing

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] text browsing
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 17:05:28 +0100 (BST)

> It's available at
>       http://lynx.isc.org/lynx2.8.5/

Someone asking this question is likely to be completely thrown by this
page as the only sort of software they are likely to be able to handle
is an executable Windows binary install package!  They will probably
not even be able to cope with a Cygwin version or an archive file,
let alone source code.

I failed to find anything that would be usable by typical Windows
user, even on the pages that were given as specific Windows and MS-DOS
ports.

However, the request doesn't actually seem to be for a copy of the
browser, but for emulation of the browser, in which case
<http://www.delorie.com/web/lynxview.html> might be useful.

Note that this site requires that a particular URL exist (with any
content) on the target site, to prevent its use other than on sites
owned by the requestor (presumably to prevent its being used as an
anonymising proxy).  I didn't create the file, so I can't 100% guarantee
that it is working at the moment.