Re: [Lynx-dev] Windows Lynx style sheet destroyed after using external

From: gilmap
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Windows Lynx style sheet destroyed after using external
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 09:35:50 -0600 (MDT)

In a recent note, Thomas Dickey said:

> Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 06:14:38 -0400 (EDT)
>
> > In a recent note, Lawrence Armstrong said:
> >> Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 23:34:13 -0400
> >>
> >> You basically define the mime type and tell it what "viewer" app you =
> >> want to=20
> >> handle it. Hope it works for you.
> >>
> >> I just tested it with a few shoutcast stations.
> >>
> >> VIEWER:audio/x-pn-realaudio:start realplay.exe %s
> >>
> > By analogy, on Solaris 2.8 with Lynx 2.8.6dev.17, I created a
> > cgi-bin script which did

> > then mostly a
> >
> >    od -x /dev/random
> >
> > I added to lynx.cfg
> >
> >    VIEWER:text/x-streaming:/bin/less
> >
> > When I connect to my cgi-bin script, all I get is a progress
> > odometer.  I stopped Lynx when it reached 25 Mb.  What am I
> > doing wrong?
>
> On Windows, a "start" will create a new window.  For Solaris, something

I was unaware of that.

> analogous would be
>
> VIEWER:audio/x-pn-realaudio:xterm -e realplay.exe %s &
>
> Otherwise, the viewer will run in the same window, compete for updating
> into the same area.

I understood that, and was willing to tolerate it for a POC.
But I have a handy script that starts "less" in a new X-window,
so I tried that as a viewer.  No luck.  Instead, the /tmp
filesystem filled up (600 Mb) and my viewer never launched.

I changed my CGI script to truncate at about 30 Mb, then
sleep for 99 seconds.  The viewer launched only after the
CGI exited and the httpd broke the connection.

So I'm unable to duplicate Lawrence's success with streaming.
Is there a configure option I should set?

BTW, when /tmp overflowed, Lynx never detected nor reported
an error -- it just continued updating its status odometer.
I might try to fix this.  Can Lynx use strerror()?

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL