Re: [Lynx-dev] Question about using lynx as a filter...

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Question about using lynx as a filter...
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 08:41:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Charlie Sorsby wrote:

I'm going to try this again.  I tried posting it before but
received an e-mail telling me that I must reply to the e-mail to
verify that I had, indeed, posted the article.  I did but, if my
query ever appeared, I missed it along with any responses... :(

I didn't notice that (perhaps our invisible administrative helper did).

According to the lynx man page it should be possible to convince
lynx to accept input via it's stdin unless I'm misunderstanding
what is being said:

   -  If the argument is only '-', then Lynx expects  to
      receive the arguments from stdin.  This is to allow
      for the potentially very long command line that
      can be associated with the -get_data  or -post_data
      arguments (see below).  It can also be used to
      avoid having sensitive information in the invoking
      command line (which would be visible to other
      processes on most systems), especially when the
      -auth or -pauth options are used.

But when I try something like:

PC% cat file.html | /usr/local/bin/lynx -dump -force_html -

That's because the contents of file.html are not arguments, but data.
Use the "-stdin" option to tell lynx to read data (the startfile)
from the standard input.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net