Re: [Lynx-dev] nested-table in lynx2.8.6pre.2

From: patakuti
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] nested-table in lynx2.8.6pre.2
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 00:52:50 +0900 (JST)

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, address@hidden wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Henry Nelson wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 05:01:13PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> >> 2001-08-15 (2.8.5dev.2)
> >> * work around defect in move_anchors_in_region() and related logic by
> >> changing
> >>   default for nested-tables to FALSE when Lynx is not configured for
> >>   color-style.  The problem is that when an anchor is shifted right by
> >>   nested-table logic, if it has a <BR> near the beginning of a table cell
> >>   and
> >>   it happens to be split across a line, its size will not be adjusted
> >>   properly
> >>   (report by Hataguchi Takeshi) -TD
> >>
> >> There are two questions to answer:
> >>
> >> (a) whether we should set the default to enable nested tables, given that
> >> for most pages it is an improvement, or disable it by default to lessen
> >> confusion.
> >
> > Is "nested-table logic" only supposed to work with, i.e., depend on,
> > "color-style", which in turn assumes "screen=ncurses", or is it that
> > it has only been tested with "color-style" and may work in other
> > configurations?
>
> no - it works either way, but has been tested more with color-style.
> The context for the bug noted above was that there was some logic
> difference between the two styles that happened to make it work better.

I tested 2.8.6pre.3 with ncurses and slang on Debian.  "color-style"
is enable for only the former binary.  I couldn't find any differences
between them with my example file except default setting.

> > Presently I configure lynx with "--with-screen=slang" and "--enable-
> > nested-tables", but I've always wondered if that is the right thing to
> > be doing since I don't set a configuration option for "color-style",
> > and always assumed it was off by default.
> >
> >> (b) whether the run-time toggling of the feature works properly.
> >
> > With "Lynx 2.8.6dev.18" (I'll do my best to try to upgrade to lynx2.8.6
> > pre.3 this weekend.), --with-screen=slang and --enable-nested-tables,
> > I get a status-line message that toggling is ON/OFF.

2.8.6pre.3 also shows the message and the setting makes effect with
above two binaries.
# That is, I saw a problem when it's on with both binaries.
# Columns is 80.

> > Assuming I can get lynx2.8.6pre.3 installed soon, what test should
> > we do to see if "run-time toggling of the feature works properly."
> >
> > Also, can lynx-devers suggest some URLs of good examples of tables
> > where nested-table logic improves the presentation?  Thanks.

http://weather.asahi.com/pinpoint/kanto/tokyo.html
Tokyo's wether information page in Japanese.
I can get better result with a large screen.