Re: [Lynx-dev] Nested lists

From: hsv
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Nested lists
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:10:07 -0400

I want to create a site map with indenting, like so:

Menu Level 1
   submenu level 1a
   submenu level 1b
   Menu Level 2
      submenu level 2a
      submenu level 2b
<<<<<<<<
Is it really misuse with "dl" to together group level-2s, alongside a group
of level-1s, within a bigger "dl"?  To me it seems good structure.  In
strict HTML 4.0 one cannot with "ul" show that the level-1s and level-2s
are group, and also get subordination in presentation.  With "lh" of 3.0,
which lately TD removed, but, at least for color style, is yet in
2.6.8dev.18, one can somewhat show it, or with the deprecated method of
putting text right after "ul" outside "li".

dl
dt Menu Level 1 /dt
   dd submenu level 1a /dd
   dd submenu level 1b /dd
   dd
dl dt Menu Level 2 /dt
      dd submenu level 2a /dd
      dd submenu level 2b /dd
/dl /dd
/dl

Is this really misuse of "dl"?

But when I try to do it with nested DL's, the formatting is all wonky (indents
don't match up, and leading blank line on DL disrupts the flow).
<<<<<<<<
That is only style; I tryed it out also on Firefox and there it lines up,
and Lynx honors attribute "compact", wherewith the empty line vanishes,