Re: [Lynx-dev] Nested lists

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Nested lists
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 07:34:42 +0100 (BST)

> Is it really misuse with "dl" to together group level-2s, alongside a group
> of level-1s, within a bigger "dl"?  To me it seems good structure.  In

Creative use of DL has always been a controversial area.  There are
some people who consider that it should only be use for definition lists.
However, I think that this example is so clearly a nested un-numbered list,
and that is the interpretation that most people who bother to markup
site maps structurally seem to make.

In particular, DL is should never be used if the only intention is to
achieve indentation.  In fact the original specification allowed the
dt item to be on the same line as the first dd.  This was not widely
implemented, although it is now possible on more fully conforming
CSS 2.x browsers than IE.  I've always thought that this, run-in
style, is the right one for most true definition lists.

e.g.

dd   An element that contains the definition of a term.

dt   An element that contains the term being defined.

element
     The basic syntactical unit in SGML and XML based markup languages.

     Subject to the rules of the specific language, elements may be nested.

> 2.6.8dev.18, one can somewhat show it, or with the deprecated method of
> putting text right after "ul" outside "li".

This technique cannot be deprecated as it has never been legal.