Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx 2.8.6

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx 2.8.6
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 07:34:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, Jeffrey D. Benton wrote:

> I can get Lynx to download and unzip but I can't get it to
> run. In my last attempt I downloaded lynx2.8.6rel.1.zip at
> http://www.pervalidus.net/cygwin/lynx/. I have no software programming
> knowledge so I need it to download and run automatically.
>
> Second question: Can Lynx be configured to prevent the download
> of software programs--perhaps by filtering certain types of file
> extensions such as .exe?

There have been a couple answers to this, but I think they missed the
point. This is a Windows program that comes without an installer. You
need to manually install it. The first thing is to unzip it with
settings that preserve the directory structure. If all the files are in
one directory, you need to remove that and try again. It comes with
settings for being in "D:\Program Files\Lynx", so the easiest (if you
have a D: drive), is to unzip under "D:\Program Files".  Otherwise, pick
a directory and unzip the file. Then use a text editor to edit the file
"lynx.cfg", changing the path to match where you put the file. Then
right-click on the lynx.exe file and create a "shortcut". You can drag
or cut and paste the shortcut to your desktop. You can change the
properties so that it starts in fullscreen. You can also put a copy of
the shortcut in the appropriate directory to add it to the program list
under START.

The answer to the second question depends on what you are trying to do.
There seems to be some confusion as to what lynx is. It is a text mode
browser and doesn't download anything automatically. When you say you
want to prevent the download of certain files, are you talking about
running it yourself, or are you trying to set up limited versions of
lynx for other users (i.e. Are you the Administrator?)? Unless you let
us know what platform you are running on and what you really want to
prevent, it is hard to give advice.

If you just want a program for yourself on a Windows machine, it may be
easier to download a version that comes with an installer, such as
"http://prdownloads.sourceforge.jp/lynx-win32-pata/21607/Lynx286dev18TH.exe";.

                            Doug
--
Doug Kaufman