Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx and interactive parts of css

From: Henning Haeske
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx and interactive parts of css
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 14:07:19 +0200

Hi,

thanks for your comments. I will try to answer them.  And I also made a page
with an example showing my problem in a clearer way.

Here are your comments:

1.
-----
>This should not be a block level element.  In fact, with proper,
>strict, HTML markup, in which the text text text would be in a P
>element, it would be a syntax error.  This is not just a text
>only issue; HTML should always be written to produce a valid
>document even when no styling is applied.
In the <p>-tag  are no block-devices allowed. But - as I understand the w3c
papers - there is no must having the <p>-tag. Pages without the <p>-tag also
validating fine. (see my example page later)

2.
>        text text text text
>        continue text text text text text
>                footnote text footnote text footnote text
> ..
That work's fine..but doesn't take care of the users of graphical browsers.
Even I want to display it this way in lynx - I cannot because I cannot hide
the in-line footnote. If lynx would work with css I could do that.

3.
>        text text text text
>                <a title="footnote text footnote text footnote text"> text
>                </a>
>        continue text text text text text
----
The problem with text as argument is, that I cannot insert any tags. eg. tags
for the text-synthese, that the language change:

        footnotetext-en footnotetext-en <span lang="de">footnotetext-de</span>
footnotetext-en

4.
> My question would be "Does Lynx oddly treat DIV as an
> inline element instead of a block element?"
I think if it would interpetate css then it could do that.

5.
> If you are re-ordering it with style sheets, the conversion to
> block level should be done by using DISPLAY:BLOCK styling.
There is a difference between using DISPLAY: INLINE on block-tags and using
DISPLAY:BLOCK on inline-tags. That was the reason why Opera supports DISPLAY:
INLINE-BLOCK but no other browser does so (see at the end of page
http://www.css4you.de/display.html).

6.
> However, I think you need an XSLT
> type styling language to really handle this properly, in print
> format, as you need to generate the footnote label in both places
> (you don't need it at all in the interactive version).
The latest browsers don't interpretate xml and xslt. So in my case that
wouldn't be a solution.

7.
> Also, I think support for run-in is missing from IE.
As the IE 6.x is completly outdated. The IE 7 beta2 works fine with my
example.. only minimal graphical issues.

8.
||     (note
||         1
||         a text web browser
||     )
See point 5. And also with this solution I will have the problem with lynx: I
still cannot hide the inline-notes. For footnote it will work ok but not for
references (see example page). Many of these references tear the text apart -
so that it will be hard to read the text.

I put an example page at:

        http://henning.haeske.com/lynx/typical.html

It has a little stronger nesting in order to support different font-sizes.
That example has only one footnote and four references. Most of my text have
more inline notes (mostly references).

Ciao, Henning