Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx and interactive parts of css

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx and interactive parts of css
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 14:16:51 +0100 (BST)

> In the <p>-tag  are no block-devices allowed. But - as I understand the w3c
> papers - there is no must having the <p>-tag. Pages without the <p>-tag also
> validating fine. (see my example page later)

Text directly subordinate to body is only allowed in the transitional
version.  Transitional basically means it exists to support 1999 browsers
whilst browsers transition to fully support the strict form.

> There is a difference between using DISPLAY: INLINE on block-tags and using
> DISPLAY:BLOCK on inline-tags. That was the reason why Opera supports DISPLAY:
> INLINE-BLOCK but no other browser does so (see at the end of page
> http://www.css4you.de/display.html).

The block/inline nature of the HTML elements is irrelevant.  Any HTML
element can be styled to any CSS display type.

> The latest browsers don't interpretate xml and xslt. So in my case that
> wouldn't be a solution.

The result, often, is that people still try to force the appearence they
want, rather than that which is compatible with the available tools.

I've only covered some points on this pass.