Re: [Lynx-dev] "can't access startfile"

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] "can't access startfile"
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 11:23:42 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006, Eduardo Chappa wrote:

*** Thomas Dickey (address@hidden) wrote in the Lynx list on Oct 28,...:

:) > > > just because it can't find a page. This causes loss of session
:) > > > data and wastes people's time and patience.
:) > >
:) > > As the session is empty, I don't see how there can be any session
:) > > data to lose!
:) >
:) > There's lots. Cookies, Lynx options that don't get saved to disk,
:) > other web pages in cache, URL history -- all that data. Lynx quits,
:) > it's all gone.
:)
:) What session data is actually present if you cannot go to the _start_
:) page? As I understand your comment, none of that applies.

I believe that the main point in the original message is that an error
like "page is not accesible, you made a mistake in your spelling", or so,
should not cause Lynx to quit. It is perfectly reasonable to allow lynx to

lynx didn't quit: lynx didn't _start_.
There was no session to save.

(If it's important enough, someone will offer a patch to improve it).

keep running and start with an empty page, or a page that displays an
error message. Of course this is a matter of programming choice. The
bottom line: writing the lynx command in the command line should cause
lynx to start under most circumstances. The exception should not be this
one.

--
Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/