Re: [Lynx-dev] "Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host."

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] "Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host."
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 07:09:24 +0000 (GMT)

> But if this is true, then why can't I substitue the numerical IP
> for the site name, i.e., "http://209.202.226.100/id4.html";?  This allows
> Lynx to connect, but to the wrong page: "Tripod | Error".

Because the web site is virtual.  All modern web browsers use the
HTTP 1.1 header Host: to specify the unresolved domain name for the
web site.  This allows servers to serve many web sites without having
to have a different IP address for each one.  This is done even if
one or both of the client and server are only HTTP 1.0 conformant.

Very few sites, these days, are not Host: header virtual.

So, when you access by IP address, the Host header contains the IP
address.

If you want to bypass DNS problems, you need to add the domain name
to /etc/hosts, possibly giving it precedence, or locally go authorative
for the domain in question.

..... Now wait for the next spew from impressions.in - is there really
no-one with the authority to remove rogue subscribers!