Re: [Lynx-dev] BRF charset support

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] BRF charset support
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 14:08:44 +0000 (UTC)

Samuel Thibault dixit:

>Just print unicode 0x28xy characters, as iconv -f BRF -t UTF-8 will
>output for instance.

It won't, at least not every libiconv implementation (Citrus here):
iconv: cannot convert from BRF to UTF-8: Invalid argument

But I think that's a thing which could be added to Citrus, yet
*only* if it has an official character set registration, I think.
(Might need to contact the authors of Citrus.)

If BRF is a relatively small one (e.g. a simple 8-bit character
set where every octet corresponds to one unicode codepoint), the
conversion could even be done within lynx (since lynx does not
always use iconv(3) anyway) with fewer effort.

Samuel Thibault dixit:

>Of course, this would require an UTF-8 environment, but that should be
>fine for people wanting to do this.

Or an appropriate mapping thing.

But from some other replies I seem to understand that there is
no single 8-bit Braille character set... that there are several
in Europe, at least one in northern america, etc. So IMHO it'd
be discriminating to only implement one of them.

bye,
//mirabile
--
  "Using Lynx is like wearing a really good pair of shades: cuts out
   the glare and harmful UV (ultra-vanity), and you feel so-o-o COOL."