Re: [Lynx-dev] PDF, Google, and Helper Apps

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] PDF, Google, and Helper Apps
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 19:13:25 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, address@hidden wrote:

Frequently, I do a Google search, as for:

   http://www.google.com/search?q=md5sum+z%2Fos

.... and one or more of the hits says:

  Your browser may not have a PDF reader available. Google recommends
  visiting our text version of this document.

So:

o I have a PDF viewer defined in my .mailcap, but a trace shows only:

   Accept: text/html, text/plain, text/css, text/sgml, */*;q=0.01\r

 What more must I do to get Lynx to accept application/pdf?

There are two files to consider - mime types and mailcap.
The mime types file lists the things that lynx might put in an Accept,
while the mailcap file tells it what to do with the file that it's
downloaded.

Just for a reminder - the system's mime.types file may be very large,
so "recent" lynx has an option for the "Preferred media type" that
lets you tell it to use just your own mime types file, etc.  The
options menu controls what subset of the files it uses, and the actual
types are in the external files.

Given all of that - you can of course still run into browser-detection woes...

o The "text version" link takes me back to the query results page.
 This is a bug I should report to Google, isn't it?

probably - I guess that their preference is for "as html".

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net