Re: [Lynx-dev] Getting rid of black background in Lynx 2.8.6rel.4

From: Dale Carstensen
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Getting rid of black background in Lynx 2.8.6rel.4
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 21:58:20 -0700

I thought maybe this question and answer from December 23, 2006 would
answer my question, but I'm still confused.

I have gentoo.  I started with the 2004.0 version and have done
emerge world several times since.  Sometime in the past year or two,
lynx started inverting my xterm foreground/background, or at least
that was my perception.  I've noticed that if I run it from a remote
konsole on a friend's computer, it doesn't do that.  Today I was
running it from an xterm started via ssh X11Forwarding from my
laptop, and it was so unreadable inverting either the white-on-black
or black-on-white that I looked for some way to just get it to be
the foreground and background colors I chose, and I think I ended up
putting a line in my .lynxrc that says "show_color=default".

Well, I think there weren't any yellows, blues, greens, purples, etc.
before that, and now there are, and I changed .lynxrc back (I think,
I'm not sure what it had before now) to "show_color=off".  But I
still have the colors when I run lynx.  I thought I saw something
that said these options can get cached, so maybe that's what happened.
Very confusing.

Anyway, I can't read blue on black, or yellow on white, so everything
is broken one way or the other.

There are lynx.cfg and lynx.lss files in both /etc and /etc/lynx, and
they're different.  And I have .lynxrc and lynx.cfg (just one line,
ASSUMED_COLOR:black:mediumgray currently, but changing it seems to
make no difference) in my home directory.

What should I do?  I just want to be able to read what lynx displays,
and I'd prefer the background be on the light side, definitely not
black!  Books aren't printed in white ink on black paper for good
reason!