Re: [Lynx-dev] Getting rid of black background in Lynx 2.8.6rel.4

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Getting rid of black background in Lynx 2.8.6rel.4
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 15:45:42 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007, Dale Carstensen wrote:

I thought maybe this question and answer from December 23, 2006 would
answer my question, but I'm still confused.

I have gentoo.  I started with the 2004.0 version and have done
emerge world several times since.  Sometime in the past year or two,
lynx started inverting my xterm foreground/background, or at least

Perhaps you're talking about the original, and "color-style" schemes.

Generally in the former, lynx draws "white" (normally some gray shade)
for the background.  In the latter, lynx generally uses the scheme
with a black background.  Each has some runtime configurability; however
most people don't change it.

Until lynx 2.8.6, the two flavors didn't mix (since the original scheme
cannot be made to do color-style, and since color-style was not easily
configured to simulate the original scheme).   But I changed the default
configuration of color-style to allow this.  There's a sample script in
the lynx sources (oldlynx) which does a reasonable job of simulating the
original scheme.

Here's a copy of that, for instance:

#!/bin/sh
# invoke lynx built with color-style, overriding the color options to use the
# non-color-style scheme -TD

my_cfg=${TMPDIR:-/tmp}/lynxcfg$$
trap "rm -f $my_cfg" 0 1 2 5 15

rm -f "$my_cfg"