Re: [Lynx-dev] HTTP Authentication Issue

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] HTTP Authentication Issue
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 20:46:00 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Chris Nighswonger wrote:

Hi,
I have installed:

Lynx Version 2.8.5rel.1 (04 Feb 2004)
libwww-FM 2.14, SSL-MM 1.4.1, OpenSSL 0.9.8b
Built on linux-gnu Jul 13 2006 02:10:04

On:

Linux 2.6.18-1.2869.fc6 #1 SMP

And am trying to access:

http://s4.viastreaming.net:7590/admin.cgi

Which requires basic authentication via http. I use:

address@hidden cnighswonger]# lynx -auth username:password
http://s4.viastreaming.net:7590/admin.cgi

I'm not sure - I can see that (using lynx -trace) the server replies
with something that lynx should handle (basic authentication):

--- Talking HTTP1.
Server reply header lines:
Server: Shoutcast DNAS
WWW-authenticate: basic realm="Shoutcast Server"

Lynx doesn't write the user/password that's parsed in the trace file
(generally a good idea, lousy for debugging).  If I were debugging this,
I'd try adding a trace for authentication_info[] in src/HTAlert.c where
it's used - to double-check that it's parsed and passed in properly.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net