Re: [Lynx-dev] 2-8-7r4 LYUtils.c won't find ~/.mailcap

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] 2-8-7r4 LYUtils.c won't find ~/.mailcap
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 07:50:54 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Rado S wrote:

=- Thomas Dickey wrote on Mon 19.Feb'07 at 18:31:06 -0500 -=

That's the goal - to not accidentally point to things that
someone else could modify. Lynx has generally assumed that the
home directory is safe (which is why bookmarks live there ;-).

So what sort of symbolic link configuration are we talking about here?

Heh. :)

For backup convenience I've symlinked all my ~/.* files (and from
other dirs) of relevance into ~/sys, so a simple 'tgz -cf bak ~/sys'
saves'em all but keeps the clutter out (cleaner diffs, easier to
track important changes).

I keep the interesting dot-files in an RCS archive (have done that
for a long time - some sys-admins would simply replace my dot-files
with some boilerplate ;-)

~/sys/.mailcap
~/.mailcap -> sys/.mailcap

My bookmarks don't live in ~, which is covered by .lynxrc (no link).
lynx.cfg +.lss are accessed by their VARs pointing to them (no links either).

ok.  Then if I made it do a readlink, the code would find that the
result is still in your own directory, and it could recur to run the
check on the link's target.  That sounds reasonable - I simply hadn't
thought of symlinks when I modified HTInit.c to use IsOurFile().

It's less of an issue than if you wanted to symlink to another account
or (recalling some discussion on this list) link to a file that's on
a fat32 partition to share it with Windows apps...

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net