Re: [Lynx-dev] 2-8-7r4 LYUtils.c won't find ~/.mailcap

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] 2-8-7r4 LYUtils.c won't find ~/.mailcap
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 09:02:05 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, address@hidden wrote:

In a recent note, Rado S said:

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 14:25:57 +0100

=- Thomas Dickey wrote on Tue 20.Feb'07 at  7:50:54 -0500 -=

ok.  Then if I made it do a readlink, the code would find that the
result is still in your own directory, and it could recur to run the
check on the link's target.  That sounds reasonable - I simply hadn't
thought of symlinks when I modified HTInit.c to use IsOurFile().

For an alternate (and perhaps easier to implement) approach,
I believe an intermediate security setting in Apache permits
following symlinks only when the link and its target have
the same owner: lstat(); stat(); compare owner.

Link-owner is unreliable, since (even allowing for too-helpful sys-admins) iirc not all systems restore ownership of symlinks from a tar file...

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net