Re: [Lynx-dev] pretty-src coloring breaks

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] pretty-src coloring breaks
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 12:53:55 -0500

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 06:46:59PM +0100, Rado S wrote:
> =- Thomas Dickey wrote on Thu  8.Mar'07 at 12:34:15 -0500 -=
>
> > something like {...}
>
> I guess it's easier if I copied the ncurses data file(s) over to
> the solaris machine. Are there problems when I use new(er) data
> files with old(er) ncurses or even solaris's native curses?

yes/no:  Solaris tic can read/use the ncurses terminfo.src (it'll complain
about the extensions, but I don't recall that preventing any tic from
compiling the source).  There were some issues with the extended binary
format used by ncurses 5.0 versus ncurses 4.2, but that's long ago.

Of course there's the entry for "xterm", which is aliased to "xterm-new".
Specific terminal emulators may not match that, e.g., Sun's xterm won't
(which will leave odd splotches on your screen ;-).

The terminfo source in xterm's tarball is smaller and for getting
the terminfo up to date is just as good (or bad).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net