Re: [Lynx-dev] pretty-src coloring breaks

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] pretty-src coloring breaks
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 10:48:18 -0500

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 02:10:25PM +0100, Rado S wrote:
> =- Thomas Dickey wrote on Thu  8.Mar'07 at 12:53:55 -0500 -=
>
> > > I guess it's easier if I copied the ncurses data file(s) over to
> > > the solaris machine. Are there problems when I use new(er) data
> > > files with old(er) ncurses or even solaris's native curses?
> >
> > Of course there's the entry for "xterm", which is aliased to
> > "xterm-new". Specific terminal emulators may not match that, e.g.,
> > Sun's xterm won't (which will leave odd splotches on your screen ;-).
>
> I've copied over the compiled (binary) file for x/xterm to
> n/nxterm, so I can still use native "xterm" when native and the
> correct color-xterm when coming from remote with color, setting
> TERM=nxterm.
>
> (uh, btw, I just noticed in ncurses 5.5 "xterm" != "xterm-new":
>       key_backspace: '\177', '^H'
> Why is this different? Why isn't "xterm" ^H, too?)

It depends on the platform - the BSD people want ^H, and the Linux want ^?.

> Solaris' native apps are of course linked with native curses, like
> vi. A problem here: somehow solaris vi produces \Eg rather than
> pure ^G for error notifications. In "screen" this is mapped to
> "flash_screen" so I can't have audio-bell in "screen".

It's possible that there's some issue with the binary file.
What does infocmp say?

> In your "xterm-new" (color) this vi still flashes, too, even though
> the code for flash_screen is not the same as in "screen".
> In the original "nxterm" flash_screen is NULL, so there vi happily
> beeps away.
> Is it vi's fault to produce \Eg rather than ^G, or should xterm +
> screen not have flash_screen set that way?
>

> In color-xterm with TERM=nxterm using your xterm-new data
> file for it, lynx (ncurses 5.2) displays the ACS back-/forward
> arrows fine.
> When I use the same lynx in the same color-xterm inside screen
> (compiled with sun's curses but using ncurses5.5 "xterm-new" data
> file and ncurses 5.2 datafile for "screen-w"), then lynx' ACS
> arrows appear as ,,, for <<< and +++ for >>>.

Those are the default mapping for arrows in Solaris (and ncurses):

#define ACS_LARROW      (acs_map[','])  /* arrow pointing left */
#define ACS_RARROW      (acs_map['+'])  /* arrow pointing right */

iirc, Linux console has a mapping for that, and if you're running in a
UTF-8 terminal, ncurses provides a built-in mapping for that.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net