[Lynx-dev] Proposed patch to add LYNX_HELPFILE env. variable

From: Chuck Houpt
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Proposed patch to add LYNX_HELPFILE env. variable
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 12:17:53 -0400

Hi,

I'd like to propose/submit the attached patch, which adds support for a new environment variable LYNX_HELPFILE. LYNX_HELPFILE overrides the compiled-in default URL and configuration file URL for the help file.

Currently all of Lynx's settings (CFG file, LSS file, LOCALEDIR, etc) can be set from the environment, except for the help file location. Adding LYNX_HELPFILE allows Lynx to be run in a completely install-prefix free way - i.e. a Lynx install can be run from any location (/mnt/cdrom2/lynx), regardless of its original default prefix configuration (/usr/local).

I specifically made this patch for the Lynx inside Lynxlet on Mac OS X (http://habilis.net/lynxlet/), because the Lynxlet application can be installed anywhere. However, I think it might be a generally useful feature.

The patch includes code and doc changes (against 2.8.7dev.4). Let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Cheers - Chuck