Re: Symbol-rightness [Lynx-dev] Problem with form action parameters with

From: hsv
Subject: Re: Symbol-rightness [Lynx-dev] Problem with form action parameters with underscores
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 10:46:02 -0400

If Lynx thinks that there really is an ∥ entity, it will substitute that.
<<<<<<<<
For all that it is worth, there is:

http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/MISC/SGML.TXT

par     ISOtech 0x2225 # PARALLEL TO

But I find that at least Firefox is generally ignorant of all but the oldest
SGML names, as late standards suggest (and is also generally ignorant of
all but the commonest mathematical symbols, although in numeric form).

I believ that completion is really allowed only ere "&", not any symbol,
and then not in strict SGML (ha!). But maybe Lynx nonetheless completes
it, and the outcome with underscore, is as if this were entered:

        action=error.php?par1=1&par;_2=2

Now if the underscore is left out, the symbol-name is "par2", that is
not found in the aforesaid file, substitution seemingly is suppressed,
and the expression turns out as intended.

Seems to me that Lynx has a big symbol-list, and quite permissivly parses
symbol-names; further, that this problem is user-error, one otherwise
righted than the user wishes.