Re: [Lynx-dev] A patch for lynx.

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] A patch for lynx.
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 07:40:57 +0100

address@hidden wrote:
It comes to me to ask how often the right DTD is declared at the
HTML-file s head.... It seems to me that if the parser is changed,
maybe it is better if it depends on the DTD-declaration.

To be pedantic, the syntax change at issue here is not
specified in the DTD, it is implied by the content type
(which will not be implying it in the cases cited) or by
the presence of an XML declaration (in the form of an
SGML processing instruction).  The actual syntax and
semantics of the DTD itself are modified by this (not that
normal browser actually read the DTD)!

Whilst it is just possible that some mainstream browsers aer
using the DTD name to turn on partial XML handling, rather
than having it on all the time, they cannot fully honour it
because, for example, <table><tr> in HTML is equivalent to
the document object model for this construct will be different
between compatibility mode and true XHTML mode.  The compatibility
rules require that tbody always be present, but this whole thread
is about people who violate the compatibility rules.  Lynx can
get away with this as it supports neither scripts nor style
sheets.