Re: [Lynx-dev] Proposed patch to init preferred-doc-lang from LANG/LANG

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Proposed patch to init preferred-doc-lang from LANG/LANGUAGE
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 22:29:02 +0000 (UTC)

Chuck Houpt dixit:

> Could you explain a little?

Sure.

• I'm fighting stupid by-scheme internationalisation in applications since
  quite a while, because for example, professional German computer users
  really despise translated applications (and websites) since they can read
  English, but most translations basically suck
• Translated websites suck even more (and usually hide other content)
• you don't use the LANG environment variable, you use LC_MESSAGES via
  setlocale(3) if --enable-nls was given at configure time; setlocale(3)'s
  job is to check LANG, LC_MESSAGES and LC_ALL
• There is no LANGUAGE environment variable¹. Period.

Other than that, Henry Nelsons arguments apply as well, of course.

¹) in the standards (e.g. SUSv3)

bye,
//mirabile
existence.              -- Coywolf Qi Hunt