Re: [Lynx-dev] Proposed patch to init preferred-doc-lang from LANG/LANGU

From: Atsuhito Kohda
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Proposed patch to init preferred-doc-lang from LANG/LANGUAGE
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:56:18 +0900 (JST)

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 17:12:57 -0400, Chuck Houpt <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think it would be useful to default PREFERRED_LANGUAGE based on
> LANG/LANGUAGE, because then both the UI and documents would be
> displayed in the user's favorite languages.
>
> The patch includes code and doc changes (against 2.8.7dev.4). Let me
> know if you have any questions or comments.

This sounds very good to me.  In fact, I make a similar attempt
with a wrapper script in Debian for quite a long time.

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 07:13:44 +0900, Henry Nelson <address@hidden> wrote:

> As an aside, what may be the preferred language in one application may not
> be what is preferred in another.  It may also be that LANG is already hacked
> to the wrong language just to get some other app to work right.

This looks to me a bit exceptional case.

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 22:29:02 +0000 (UTC), Thorsten Glaser <address@hidden>
wrote:

> • I'm fighting stupid by-scheme internationalisation in applications since
>   quite a while, because for example, professional German computer users
>   really despise translated applications (and websites) since they can read
>   English, but most translations basically suck

But I'm afraid normal Japanese users don't understand English
so well.  For them, the patch might be very useful.

> • Translated websites suck even more (and usually hide other content)

This is a problem of web administators but irrelevant to the
patch, isn't this?
Unless there is crucial deficiency, I think the patch will
be very useful for lynx.

Regards,                        2007-4-23(Mon)

 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda AT debian.org>
 Department of Math., Univ. of Tokushima