Re: [Lynx-dev] Proposed patch to init preferred-doc-lang from LANG/LANGU

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Proposed patch to init preferred-doc-lang from LANG/LANGUAGE
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 10:05:42 +0000 (UTC)

David Woolley dixit:

> honest web master

Good joke, especially in face of the recent threads about
| <foo />
and
in some web sites. Please, whom are you trying to kid? Ever
seen a webmaster with some clues? In “our circles”, to call
someone a “webmaster” is considered a four-letter word…

Atsuhito Kohda dixit:

>> be what is preferred in another.  It may also be that LANG is already hacked
>> to the wrong language just to get some other app to work right.
>
>This looks to me a bit exceptional case.

I don't think so, ever tried to use non-latin1 apps on e.g. some
of the BSDs? Sometimes (can you say midnight commander?) even
latin1 can make trouble.

>But I'm afraid normal Japanese users don't understand English
>so well.  For them, the patch might be very useful.

They can already configure that using the options menu, or have
the person who sets up the computer for them configure it, if
they don't even know enough English for the options menu (unless
lynx was compiled with --enable-nls).

>> • Translated websites suck even more (and usually hide other content)
>
>This is a problem of web administators but irrelevant to the
>patch

Technically, yes. But then, technically, if I were going to submit
a patch that would refuse displaying a non-well-formed HTML page,
any complaints would be irrelevant as well.

We should keep focus on the real world, not on what we could do if
everyone plays nice. Hey, even my ISP doesn't let me log in with
lynx unless I add MSIE to the user-agent header…

Atsuhito Kohda dixit:

>If I understand it correctly, we are talking about the
>default settings.
>
>Then I doubt that English for the PREFERRED_LANGUAGE

Actually, no. The best PREFERRED_LANGUAGE default setting is _empty_.
This way, you do not set _any_ preference; websites could use cookies,
GeoIP, or whatever stuff they like, and the user can configure a value
if desired, but doesn't need to if not required. Remember, the header
doesn't _need to_ be transmitted.

bye,
//mirabile
existence.              -- Coywolf Qi Hunt