Re: [Lynx-dev] Proposed patch to init preferred-doc-lang from LANG/LANG

From: Chuck Houpt
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Proposed patch to init preferred-doc-lang from LANG/LANGUAGE
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 14:45:57 -0400

At 6:14 AM +0900 4/24/07, Henry Nelson wrote:
On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 10:58:44AM -0400, Chuck Houpt wrote:
 You're right. The patch should use setlocale(),

NO.  Locale has nothing to do with the _weighted_ preference of
the language of a document to serve to a browser.

I agree there is no direct connection between Unix's Locale system and HTTP's Accept-Language header. However, since LC_MESSAGES is designed to control the language used for "informative messages", and web pages are a kind of informational message, I think it can be useful to use LC_MESSAGES as a default for Accept-Language.

Of course, I do understand the points made about bad translations and interactions with ill-behaved software. Clearly the current patch is too disruptive to Lynx's default behavior in various situations.

How about I revise the patch to be an off-by-default configuration option? For example:

LOCALE_PREFERRED_LANGUAGE:FALSE

Setting this to true would trigger the patched code, but only when there isn't an explicit PREFERRED_LANGUAGE setting in .lynxrc or lynx.cfg.

Since the option would be off by default (and the option would be commented out in the sample lynx.cfg), the current behavior of Lynx would be unchanged.

With this configuration option, packages that want to use the feature (like Debian and Lynxlet), can simply turn the option on in their custom lynx.cfg. This will simplify the packages, since there will no longer be a need for multiple language-specific config files (Debian) or hacky patches (Lynxlet).

- Chuck