Re: [Lynx-dev] problem on an ISO-8859-1 terminal

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] problem on an ISO-8859-1 terminal
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 19:42:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:

Hi all,

I got the following bug report in Debian BTS which I confirmed
with Lynx Version 2.8.7dev.5.

On a terminal in ISO-8859-1 locales, lynx outputs a space before
the minus (U+2212) character. For instance "x−y" is displayed
as "x -y". Try lynx on the attached XHTML file...

That's the way it is defined in

src/chrtrans/def7_uni.tbl:1554:U+2212: -

(a check of the history shows me it's been that definition at least ten years ;-)

It seems a bug of lynx itself (not of a Debian package) so I
forwarded the bug to the upstream.

My impression is that it was chosen to be visually distinct from a plain "-", but that it could be modified to make it less distinct...

I'd like to know how do you think about the problem.

(If possible, please preserve the CC to address@hidden
when you reply.)

Thanks in advance and regards,          2007-6-13(Wed)

Atsuhito Kohda <kohda AT debian.org>
Department of Math., Univ. of Tokushima