Re: [Lynx-dev] Unicode Characters in Lynx?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Unicode Characters in Lynx?
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 20:31:26 -0400

On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 09:51:47PM +1200, Zatlite wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to read Myanmar characters on a website using Lynx.
> The font is Zaw Gyi Unicode. I tried setting the lynx browser to read
> unicode but I may be doing something wrong in the configuration beause
> all that I can get is gibberish.
> Would appreciate your help.

Well - google shows me there's a font Zawgyi-One-20051130.ttf
(which I don't have installed - may do that...).  I don't see
a useful page for trying the font out - a URL would help.

If it's not simply the font, let's start with lynx:  you'd need it built
with ncursesw (the UTF-8 support otherwise is weak), and the page encoding
should be UTF-8 (to work in most Unicode environments).

In the options menu, I'd set "Use locale-based character set" to ON,
and then if things are as expected, running in a Unicode environment
(uxterm for example), lynx would show something reasonable (no BIDI
though - but gibberish would be worse than switchin directions).

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net