Re: [Lynx-dev] building lynx with libiconv: stop responding

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] building lynx with libiconv: stop responding
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:00:44 +0000 (UTC)

Thomas Dickey dixit:

<off-topic>

> sounds as if you're using one of the *BSD's, who some time ago decided
> to sabotage configure scripts by changing gcc to _not_ look in /usr/local
> by default.

There's actually reasons for this, plus on the BSDs, you don't build from
hand, you use the ports/pkgsrc frameworks, which give the configure script
a bunch of “fixes” and correct compiler/linker options to pick up what is
needed.

Yes, on BSD, building source from hand is usually slightly different or
even broken, but we benefit from this.

</off-topic> (sorry, couldn't resist defending here)

Your bugreport is really incomplete, you didn't tell us what OS, maybe
parts of config.log or the error messages. Maybe next time?

bye,
//mirabile
existence.              -- Coywolf Qi Hunt