Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx 2.8.5 build failure on VMS 7.3 with TCPIP

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx 2.8.5 build failure on VMS 7.3 with TCPIP
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 14:57:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007, dominic stephens wrote:

Dear All, I'm trying to build Lynx 2.8.5 on OpenVMS v7.3 with (DEC/Compaq/HP) TCPIP services v5.1-5 on a simh simulated vax with compaq C v6.4. It fails with the following message:

[-.WWW.Library.Implementation]WWWLib_UCX.olb/library, -
sys$disk:[]UCXOLB.opt/opt, sys$disk:[]VAXC.opt/opt
sys$library:ucx$ipc/library
%LINK-F-OPENIN, error opening SYS$COMMON:[SYSLIB]UCX$IPC.OLB; as input
-RMS-E-FNF, file not found
$ CLEANUP:

Presumably this is because I have TCPIP not the older UCX. Has anyone successfully built Lynx with TCPIP? Could anyone give me any pointers as to how I could modify build.com to make it work?

My VMS and C knowledge is limited but I'd like to give it a go and am willing to learn. Thanks in advance. Cheers - Dominic

I guess the first thing to do is to find where the comparable headers
and libraries are.  Editing build.com isn't _that_ simple - probably
the hardest part about working on VMS, since the quoted-strings don't
look much like other systems. I do the hard editing on my home box (Linux) so I can see it in color - haven't implemented that in the VMS port of vile.

The preferred way to make the change is as another case in the first parameter (p1) in the script. By reading it (and tracing - see below),
you should be able to see how to fit it in.

Finding things - usually "show logical *" ("show log *") will show useful
logical symbols.  You want to make the build.com script use those rather
than some fixed device names. You can make DCL scripts "trace" by setting verify to a nonzero value - see

$ v0 = 0
$ v = f$verify(v0)

at the top of build.com

If you haven't done so, learn how to use the batch command.  It's an
easy way to build things, collecting a log of the result.  (I use a
script which makes batch put the logfile in the current directory -
which it won't do by default).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net